Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Initial project plan

My project for OSD600 is processing.js

It is named that because the purpose of this project is to convert all the function calls that exist in something called processing.org which is a Java base project that has an entire library of java methods into a Java-Script library.

I have chosen this project because it embodies everything I feel open source is about. I will be learning java script and java whilst figuring things out with the power of the internet to research and get in touch with people. By the end of this project I will have been a contribution at some level to a person(s) who will use processing commands in JavaScript which will intern contribute to Mozilla.

Plan for 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 releases
For 0.1 I plan on converting 7 methods that are rated "easy" difficulty. I'm guessing that way I will gain some momentum and confidence. The exact 7 methods I'm not sure, but I wrote my name on the task list beside 13 methods. I will choose among those 13 when I start looking over the code.

My progress can be followed on a table located on mozilla Wiki that is containing all the function calls our group of students will rewrite. In that table my name will go beside the methods I choose to translate, I will then update their status.


I expect to start producing results as soon as I get fire fox compiled properly and figure out the process for translating my first method. Once I get the first one completed successfully it should just be as simple as rinse and repeat. I will also be adding to this blog at least once per week with updates.

The only barriers I see standing in my way is myself and any negativity/procrastination I do. This way of doing things is so foreign to me I will have to grow in programming style and in the way I overcome obstacles, because I am not used to programming at such an impersonal level where a lot of my feedback will be from people on IRC or email. I like having a partner to bounce ideas off of.

No comments:

Post a Comment